Thursday, August 27, 2009

Some brand-spanking new music.

About 5 minutes ago my facebook sent me a message from The Fall of Troy's fan page, alerting me that if I signed up on the mailing list on http://www.thefalloftroy.com/ then I could download their new song for free. So of course I signed up and downloaded.

The new song is called "Panic Attack!" off the album In The Unlikely Event, out October 6. I've been a fan of The Fall of Troy for awhile, ever since a few boys I used to hang out with ranted and raved about them and harassed me until I listened to them. I'll be frank; I hated them at first. The lead singer, Thomas Erak, was very screamy, and I wasn't into that at all. Yet some inexplicable quality led me back a second and a third time, and I began to dig Thomas's shrill scream, and more than that, the amazing layers and layers of guitars. Seriously, what is done with a guitar on The Fall of Troy songs is unbelievable. The notes whip around at break-neck speed with a carnal energy that makes you want to punch a wall. If you were ever to get into any kind of "screamo" at all, this would be the band to do it with. And hey, sometimes Thomas even sings, and his voice isn't half bad.

Within a few months I'd bought Doppelganger, their second full-length album, and played that to death. I even downloaded a few of their other songs, like the demo version of Macaulay McCulkin (a song which follows a stalker/murderer storyline... it's quite creepy, intense, and crazy) and Reassurance Rests in the Sea (which has a break down in the middle that really does sound like you're scuba diving in the middle of the ocean).

Then their next disc came out, Manipulator, and this release brought forth whining fans with it. Me being only a slightly-more-involved casual fan enjoyed Manipulator. The guitars still slapped you in the face and everything sounded a bit more experimental; different elements of sound were used, including electronic, synth, and jazz. And Thomas stopped shredding his vocals and carried a damn good tune throughout most of the songs (screaming was still of course in existence). But fans moaned and complained that The Fall of Troy is now "soft," they've "changed," blah blah blah whimper. "Caught Up," a jazzy, stripped down little number, featuring Thomas almost crooning, probably didn't help, but every other track still sounded like it would punch every baby and grandmother that it came across in the face, and it would enjoy it. I mean, the band refers to themselves as "progressive" and "experimental," and they were surely progressing and experimenting at an alarming rate; they just brought together many musical qualities that old fans were in no way familiar with.

But back to the new record. The song has just been released early by the band today though it's no surprise it's already on youtube. Thomas's vocals sound pretty incredible, in my opinion, and halfway through he's joined by another beautiful woman's voice. And if you've never heard The Fall of Troy before, take a listen and you'll get what I'm talking about with the guitars. Seriously, if you aren't even blown away by how much talent it takes to play that way... you don't have to enjoy it, but at least appreciate it.

Here's the mind-numbing new track.





No comments:

Post a Comment