Saturday, February 20, 2010

*Sings* Going to see The Avett Brotherrrrrrrrs!

A few months ago, WICB (radio station of Ithaca College, the only station that saves me from a Lite Rock station, a Top 40 station, and 15 Country stations) began to play "Slight Figure of Speech" by The Avett Brothers. It took me awhile to figure out what the song was called and who was singing it, but after a few intense listens where I tried to make out several lines of the fast-paced lyrics, I made a successful Google search. Thus, I fell upon The Avett Brothers.


Was I ever surprised to see that they would venture to Ithaca's own State Theatre. When I discovered this lovely piece of news, I got to work doing my research. Luckily, I'm a pro at research. I headed to their Myspace, and sure enough, the band had posted a slew of albums, which I in turn downloaded. Their sound is right down the alley I'm currently trapped in-- folk-rock alley, I shall call it. I am running down the alley, for surely there is a way out, but the alley grows ever longer, and more and more artists pop out of the shadows and throw themselves in my face. And I oblige, take their CD, and listen.



The show is the 26th. It's the first show I'll be going to alone (I've been to 2 Foo Fighters shows with a friend and my mother, The Bob Dylan Show accompanied by my mother again, and a Yeah Yeah Yeahs show with my family and family friends, which was interesting...) so I hope I can just get loose and have fun all on my own. There won't be any hangups, and I won't feel obligated to find any souls I lose in the sea that is General Admission, so I'm pretty excited at the moment. 

"They say don't take your business to the big time/ I bought us tickets there."

No comments:

Post a Comment