Tuesday, July 13, 2010

10 Best of '10 (so far)

By the way, none of these songs are really in any specific order, save Joanna Newsom, who thoroughly deserves the number one spot.

10. Avi Buffalo - Summer Cum

I cannot believe these kids are, well, kids. I could call them my peers.
While this song doesn't have a trip-tastic video like their equally great "What's In It For?", the lyrics are quirky and the melody is oh so sticky. Also, the best line of the song = "And I could taste a robot's fist." Yep... I can relate.




9. Lightspeed Champion - Marlene

Okay, so there are so many good things about this video, which mainly is the amount of giggles it induces. But this video can never reach the greatness that is the tasty guitar hook during the chorus ("Stop being cool! / Uh-oh.")



8. Janelle Monae - Cold War

R&B from space? I think so. And I love it, her, and her style.



7. Jakob Dylan - Everybody's Hurtin'

Yeah, Jakob, you wear those sunglasses indoors. Oh, and KELLY'S AND NEKO'S BACKGROUND VOCALS.



6. Sparklehorse, Danger Mouse, and Julian Casablancas - Little Girl

Technically, this song has just been released, although it was done quite awhile ago (and it has been on my iPod for awhile, too). Danger Mouse apparently had some beef with EMI, though, and Dark Night of the Soul couldn't be released until July 12. Unfortunately, Sparklehorse left us before we could appreciate the fully released project. RIP Mark Linkous, and I hope whatever afterlife you believe in is giving you peace.



5. Jamie Lidell - Compass

Can you describe this song using words other than "beautiful," or "stunning?" Yeah, I can't either.



4. The Avett Brothers - Slight Figure of Speech

These boys are usually a bit more folky, mellow, and heartfelt, but this song just makes me want to jump around pumping my fists in all directions. Especially when they RAP.



3. Laura Marling - Devil's Spoke

Another individual who just seems much to young to be this good.



2. MGMT - It's Working

I must say, I simply love MGMT's new sound, maybe even more than their old sound. I think this is because their new sound is a little bit 60s-tinged, and I'm such a sucker for the 60s. Another great new band with another great, new, innovative video is also a plus-- the highlight has to be their drummer coming out of the ground wearing a rainbow sombrero.



#1 by a grand-spankin' mile. Joanna Newsom - Baby Birch

Joanna Newsom might just be my favorite person in the world right now. I kind of want to be her. Was I ever surprised to listen to her new album and hear her new voice style. I still love the old warble, but these buttery smooth vocals are so stunning that I'm speechless. Her whole album is great-- the arrangements are BRILLIANT. But Baby Birch, without a doubt, is one of the most emotionally charged tracks on the album, and I could listen to it on repeat all day.

No comments:

Post a Comment