Tuesday, September 1, 2009

An assessment of my time here, so far.

At this point and time, the wall I have been blogging to has likely realized that I'm a bit of a music nut (if walls can come to realizations such as this one). Well, if it has, it is correct, and if it has not, it must be a very thick wall.

It is true. Music is my favorite hobby, for a lack of a better word, because it is a hobby I hold near and dear to me and could not imagine living without. I wake up to music. I get ready for the day with music. It's my favorite part about driving. I spend all day with songs and melodies flowing through my head while I eagerly await the time I can get away and listen to more of it.

Music has such a powerful attraction. Even if a person knows zilch about music, they will still find a small pebble of entertainment in the larger work. Understanding it, however, is an entirely different matter.

Music is complex. How could it not be? Musicians need to create a parallel between themselves and the song; they must transfer an element of immense importance into music, whether the element is important solely to themselves or important to the whole world. This is a talent which cannot be learned; otherwise the performance is fake, copycat, or a joke.

This is why I believe the art of music is so special; it requires work from both sides. Yes, the artists works immeasurably hard in order to create their masterpieces, but the listener has to put in the work of listening and relating to them. It's no secret that the listeners get the easy job. We are the consumers, while the musicians must provide.

I'm grateful for every single provision I've ever come across, and take solace in the fact that they will always be there for me. Recorded songs never change. Every listen is exactly the same as the first time it was heard, and offers the same elements each time. Whenever I need to listen to a song that makes me feel a certain way, I can find it time and time again. Yet the magic of songs is that even though every listen is identical, the experience is still fluid. New elements can appear upon the third, fourth, or seventieth listen; new meanings can be discovered, new feelings come forth, new experiences can be made. Though even as the song evolves, there will always be that coziness, that familiarity, that nostalgia. It will always be there to do what you want it to, and that is a great offering that can never disappear.

No comments:

Post a Comment