Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Lady-singers

Recently I've been paying a lot of attention to the music I listen to, and I assessed that I didn't listen to enough women. For the longest time (2005-2009 -- it was a dark path, but I was young and foolish) I was completely stuck in the frightening phase that is alt-rock. I sampled bands such as Good Charlotte, Yellowcard, Simple Plan, Weezer, Taking Back Sunday, Green Day, Foo Fighters, and the list grows more and more monotonous. And "manly." As in, all the artists I was listening to were men.

As a woman, as a musician, and as a growing feminist, discovering that I listened to no female musicians bothered me. So I went and found some great ones! Now that I've educated myself, I present my compiled list of my favorite ladies:

1. Karen O


Yeah Yeah Yeahs' frontwoman Karen O is my number one bad-ass musician heroine. Her style is totally rad (androgynous mixed with bizarre mixed with hawt) and I kind of want to be her. Last summer, I got the chance to see YYY's, which was incredible-- I mean the best concert I've been to incredible-- and the performance was EXCELLENT. KO was dancing maniacally and gleefully around the stage while screaming into the mic and completely beasting. Speaking of beasting, her work on Where the Wild Things Are shows what wonderfully beautiful music she is capable of making (All is Love, people? So catchy, so adorable). And we've seen Karen magnificently collaborate with children in the past, as well-- I direct you to one of my personal favorites, Y-Control, below.




I want to be corrupted by Karen O.


2. Cat Power



I have blogged my love for Chan Marshall (aka Cat Power) before, and I've covered her twice. I find myself drawn to her beautiful voice, her ability to be simultaneously enigmatic, personal, and warm, as well as her back-story, which adds to the complexity of her music. You Are Free might be my favorite recurring message on any album I've ever listened to, What Would the Community Think is as gorgeous as it is sad, and everything Cat Power has ever covered has been stunning. Example:



And I absolutely wish I had Cat Power-hair. But I tried the bangs, and it was not so.

3. Joanna Newsom


Joanna Newsom is completely odd, gorgeous, and original. I place emphasis on the word "original," because really, how many artists make poppy-medieval sounding tunes playing a harp, and playing it so beautifully?



What I love about Joanna is that she is entirely outside of the box, whatever the box that applies to her would be. You can't really put any sort of label on Joanna, although people have certainly tried. If she received a nickel for every time she was called a fairy or an elf, she could buy everyone in the world a harp. 10 times.

PS. I also want Joanna Newsom's hair, so I am currently growing it out. Oh, and I try to focus more time on perusing the dictionary in order to develop Joanna's incredible vocabulary.

4. Lady Gaga


No longer can I deny my love for this lady. I was completely and utterly turned off by her at first, simply because she wasn't showing me anything I couldn't find in the other gaggle of blonde pop-ladies breezing up and down the charts. But then I began to pay a little bit of attention and became amused at just how bizarre Gaga is. Her job suggests that she should be incredibly fake, yet she knows exactly who she is and has decided to scream it to the world. And the world, and more surprisingly, the mass top-40 world, is listening. Gaga dons sunglasses made of cigarettes and pants made of... actually, donning no pants is more typical of Gaga. She makes epic video after epic video, and with the latest (Alejandro) she shows she is not afraid to shock, awe, and piss off a few people. Now I have never been to church, so I can't say what kind of blasphemous actions Lady Gaga is carrying out. I can say, however, that her face (or lack of face) at the very end absolutely terrified me as I watched the video for the first time, alone, in the dark, at three in the morning.

Below is my favorite (and dare I say, underrated?) jam of Gaga's. I particularly enjoy double fist-pumping to this song, which is bad, for I usually listen to this song while driving to work everyday.



5. Tegan and Sara
ts.jpg tegan and sara image by raddestchickuknow

Has there ever been a duo who can simultaneously pull of the perfect mix of being adorable and angsty as successfully as Tegan and Sara? Well, I haven't found one, so these two are dubbed the winners. Seriously, I want to be in this music video. I WANT TO DO THIS CUTE DANCE.



I don't foresee myself growing a twin or cloning myself anytime soon, so for now I will just stick to fantasizing over what would be if Olivia and Adelaide (twin name is still in the works) existed.

6. Beyonce


Oh, Sasha Fierce, you have totally won my love, what with being a bamf DIVA and all. I completely believe that she could kick my ass (or anyone's ass) on any given day. In particular, I love just how classy Beyonce has become since breaking free from Destiny's Child. I don't mind all of the collaborations with my other favorite pop-songstress, Lady Gaga, either.

This retro homage to/mockery of 1950s housewifery makes me swoon. When she dusts off her Grammys = THE BEST.



7. Marissa Nadler


Psst. Hey. Marissa. How do you do that thing with your voice? You know, that thing where you sound entirely too beautiful to be packed into a three-minute song? How your voice sounds like it should just radiate all over the world and end all the evils in existence? Yeah, can you get back to me on that? Thanks.

P.S. About the ending evils thing. Can your reverb block up the BP oil spill? Get on that.


Marissa Nadler - Bird On Your Grave from Joana Linda on Vimeo.


8. Feist


I must give Feist some major credit, for she was one of the first female artists I majorly got into. Her down-to-earth quirkiness first captivated me. But I quickly fell for her voice (I have a thing for breathy singer-song writers, if Cat Power and Marissa Nadler haven't tipped you off), which wears every emotion in the boldest of colors. I just hope she brings us something else soon. She hasn't presented any new solo material since The Reminder (and the iPod commercial) made waves. Her songs make me so happy, even when they are oh so melancholy.



9. Janelle Monae


This girl knows who she is and where she's going, you can be damn sure of that. I love her style, her dancing, her androgyny, her social commentary, her weirdness, her pipes, and her ideas. She's never afraid to just "be," whether that means being herself or being android Cindi Mayweather. Janelle Monae is presenting ideas that are absolutely innovative and sounds that are entirely catchy, and I have definitely been hooked.



10. Joan Baez


Now this lady rightfully stands a cut above the rest, if not for her legendary career, but for those fine vocal chords. I want to play guitar like Baez, I want to sing like Baez, and I want to roam the Earth and promote causes like Baez. I deeply admire this woman, all she does, and all she stands for. I kick myself everyday, for she came through town two years ago to play a show at the local theatre, but I had not yet entered into my pseudo-hippie folk-loving days. Hopefully, I get the chance to see her and take it. I've already seen Dylan in concert, but a live show from Joan is something I certainly don't want to miss. I probably wouldn't breathe the entire way through, just because those pipes amaze me.

Example:





I am kind of ecstatic that I escaped my rut and found all these wonderful female artists to look up to. Because really, now I get to work at emulating all my women idols, whereas before, I was all, "Yeah! I totally want to be... that sweaty dude?" Hopefully, my list will grow, and I'll continue to add to it ladies I love and admire.

15 comments:

  1. I'm a guy, but I've always appreciated female artists. Way back when I was a teen, I liked Tori Amos and Belly (Tanya Donelly) - and have since come to love many other female artists from that era even more: Kristin Hersh, particularly, and then other obvious ones like the women from Bikini Kill, Shonen Knife and Sleater-Kinney. Oh, and Michelle Shocked's "Short Sharp Shocked" album.

    More recently I'd recommend people like Gillian Welch and Jolie Holland. And Gemma Ray, and then, the solo work of Beth Gibbons of Portishead is worth checking out, too.

    On the rock side, The Pack A.D. are pretty good. And if you can appreciate somewhat new-agey stuff, Jami Sieber is pretty interesting.

    People like Roisin Murphy, Goldfrapp and Sarah Cracknell are also good, but I'm uncertain how much a hand they have in their music, vs. how much they may be more in the "diva" category...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome list. I found a similar thing up until the last couple of years, that I was listening to a LOT more 'male' music, which I don't have a problem with, but I too wanted to expand my listening. So stuff like Sleater-Kinney and Veruca Salt, and early No Doubt.

    But if I could recommend one female musician, it would be Skin, who fronts Skunk Anansie. An amazing band and an amazingly talented woman.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Adam, I totally love Gemma Ray! I don't know why I left her off.. I haven't listened to her in awhile *opens iTunes."

    I'm thinking I should check out Sleater-Kinney first, as I've heard that name tossed around quite a bit when I bring up female musicians. Soon, hopefully, I'll check out all the recommendations! I love finding new music!

    Thanks for the feedback! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't seem to make an account on Feministing, so I'll have to post here. I listen to quite a few female musicians. I'm not sure if you'll like the ones I like and maybe you've already heard some of these, but I'll recommend them anyway.

    I'm currently obsessed with Marina & the Diamonds and Emilie Autumn. Bat For Lashes, Florence + the Machine, Ladyhawke, Little Boots, Kerli, and La Roux are also amazing.

    Halestorm is pretty underrated rock band that I love. Lzzy Hale has a great strong voice and plays guitar.

    Metric is another great band with a female singer. Emily Haines has a lovely unique voice. Be sure to also listen to her solo music that's under the name Emily Haines & the Soft Skeleton.

    There are many female-fronted metal bands. Some of the more popular ones that I really like are Within Temptation, Nightwish, and Lacuna Coil.

    Okay, I think that's all my favorites! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you're willing to broaden your horizons into metal (or if you already listen to it but just didn't list any singers from metal bands) there are a few good women out there. Deadlock has a good female clean vocalist, and Eyes Set to Kill is decent. For harsher vocals, you could look into Arch Enemy's newer stuff, or Walls of Jericho.

    For tamer music, I definitely second the suggestion for La Roux, and add Lights, Regina Spektor, Meg & Dia, Sleigh Bells (which is a little weirder, but still pretty awesome), Zolof the Rock and Roll Destroyer, and Frou Frou.

    I'm hopeful that somewhere in there you'll find something you like!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Believe it or not Sharikia ( check out her earlier work pre 2000)
    Bebe- Spanish singer check out “Pa mi casa” and she is known a feminist singer
    M.IA
    las Ultrasonicas- All girl Chilean Punk rock band
    Julita Vega- Latin Alterative singer

    Natalia Lafourcade
    la oreja de van gogh- latin pop/rock
    Veronica Maggio
    Lila Downs
    Bessie smith
    Lola Beltran
    Yma Sumac
    Los Kilpus- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dt0SEtOWDtM&feature=related
    eydie gorme
    Maluca
    Toña La Negra- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmEiOu70hC0
    The Worsties
    IO Echo
    Billie Holiday
    I adored Dresden Dolls but I’m not going to support Amanda work given her current behavior but I still love some of their songs.

    Janis Joplin
    florence and the machine
    SONIA LOPEZ- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDBm1G3NOiw&feature=related
    The 5.6.7.8's- all-female Japanese garage rock trio
    pasty cline
    raveonettes

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much everybody for all the feedback! I've already decided I like Sleater-Kinney. I'm going through quite a folk-rock/new-folk/60s phase right now so all of this stuff might seem "softer." But I'm looking forward to looking up a whole bunch of women who are awesome and badass and make incredible music.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey, I clicked over here from Feministing. I see people have already mentioned Florence + the Machine, Roisin Murphy and LaRoux, so I'll endorse those suggestions, and here are some more!:

    Gossip - front woman: the AWESOME Beth Ditto
    Bjork - legendary
    CSS - all women except the drummer (I believe), lead singer channels Karen O at times
    Duffy - Amy Winehouse-esque without the media circus
    Emilie Simon - French, quirky
    Esthero - downtempo
    Annie Lennox - if you're into 80's then you've gotta give her a shout out :)
    GARBAGE! - one of my favorite bands of all time. Shirley Manson is love.
    India.Arie - gorgeous
    Jan Johnston - vocals on a crapton of trance tracks, if you're into that kind of thing
    Ladyton - two female vocalists, electropop/nu-New Wave, KICKASS
    Loreena McKennitt - "world" music, with Celtic and Middle Eastern influences, chillout. Incredible voice.
    Masha Qrella - downtempo, dreampop
    Mazzy Star - frontwoman Hope Sandoval plays several instruments. Also downtempo/alternative
    Paula Cole - one of the quintessential voices of the 90's imo
    Santigold - making incredible music, un-labelable, really
    Silversun Pickups - grunge/alternative rock, female vocalist
    Uh Huh Her - all female, indie/electropop

    I don't know what kind of music you tend to gravitate toward, but hopefully there's something for you here :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry, "Ladyton" above was meant to be "Ladytron" :]

    ReplyDelete
  10. So many good recommendations - glad to have come back to this thread. And thanks, Olivia, for making it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. If you like Garbage you'll probably like Curve; they came first, and Toni Halliday is badass.

    Cathy Davey is awesome. So's Charlotte Martin, Lisa Hannigan, Carina Round and Sierra Swan.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Feministing readerJuly 19, 2010 at 7:32 PM

    St. Vincent!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You guys are all awesome for posting all these fantastic recommendations. I love it when others join me in geeking out to great music.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dar Williams - start with As Cool As I Am: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TywZyET3ktY

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Chris Pureka is little-known and underrated, in my opinion

    ReplyDelete